Back in spring 2020, survival was at the front of our minds. We were thinking about ourselves, our families, and our businesses. Changing accountant was absolutely not on the agenda. It was all about getting through this.
So what’s changed? And is now the time to think about changing accountant?
Since the pandemic began, your business may have:
- temporarily closed
- laid off staff
- changed the way you work
- recruited staff
- lost customers
- gained customers
- been busier than ever
- carried on as ‘normal’.
If you used the furlough scheme, you most likely called on your accountant to help make sure you got your employees pay right, and to submit your grant claims to HMRC. They may also have helped you with grant and loan applications and cash flow forecasts.
Why you should stay with your existing accountant
Don’t move if you’re happy where you are. That means:
- You’ve got a great working relationship, and they’re super-supportive.
- They’re open to new ideas. And will make suggestions too.
- They’ll answer your accounting questions.
- They’re up-to-date with your tax returns.
- You can also get technical support on Xero.
- They’ve automated much of your data entry and processing.
- Most importantly, they’ve put you in a position where you feel confident about your numbers, and understand what you need to do to develop your business.
In the context of the pandemic, your accountant may also have changed the way they work to adapt to the circumstances.
Why might it be difficult to change?
We know it can be challenging if:
- you’ve known your accountant for a long time
- you don’t like confrontation or
- aren’t keen to negotiate a new package
- you’re worried about losing access to long-standing knowledge.
Why now might just be the time
There were other more pressing issues on our minds this time last year. But now we’ve had time to adapt to the ‘new normal’. We know we’re in for the long haul, but we’re also looking forward to something more like the ‘old’ normal. So now might be the time to change if:
- you are ready to increase cash and profits in your business
- you’re no longer content with where your business is
- you are looking for new ways to do things, save time and improve performance
- you want to get results.
If you’re thinking about changing your accountant, get in touch. Our Business & Xero Review is a great way to get some fresh input into your business for a fixed low price, without any commitment to changing your accountant.
We’re looking forward to working with you.